I was actually quite excited and had waited all day, this evening we would lift all the onions and lay out for drying – and that is what we did. Out of all the onions we only lost one which was all dried out and eaten in places, all the others were fine. We left them out to dry with the hope we don’t get a sudden end of the extended hot weather for a day or two.
The plot is starting to look a bit bare, I wouldn’t mind sowing some more turnips but I think nothing is going to germinate just yet in this heat. Salad leafs planted the other week and covered in netting to keep them out of the hot sun, they have yet to appear, if they ever will.
- so many beetroots ready, we picked four more
- french beans, a constant flow of them
- a couple of runner beans, possibly all we will get. With the heat and lack of water, the shallow raised bed and black fly, I don’t think they are that happy
- courgette – they have started again
- rocket, mostly gone to seed but still some leafs worth having
- beet leafs, note to self to plant more next year
- broad beans, still coming
- raspberries, just one or two now, eaten on site