I picked up some strawberries the other week and this weekend I was going to plant them in the raised beds, until the weather forecast suggested frost, snow, and strong winds. A bit of a reminder that while it has been quite warm with clear skies for a couple of days, it is still winter.
It will be Easter in a couple of weeks and I expect the allotments to be full of people over that time busy planting and sorting things out. Before that happens, I still had a last raised bed that needed emptying and re-positioning, I had to stop last week when the amount of sticky mud was just everywhere in the cold and wet. While snow and wind was forecast, I got up early to get this last bit done. It wasn’t cold and strangely at the top of the hill on the plot it wasn’t too windy either.
I moved the raised bed, lining it with the millions of newspapers that we still have and putting down a bit of soil to stop the paper flying about. It didn’t take long, and while there were two bucket fulls of weeds, it was a lot less than the previous bed. All this has gone into the incinerator for burning hopefully next week. I did a bit of hoeing around the raspberries and gooseberries to get rid of weeds that were starting to appear. In doing so I discovered a third rhubarb crown starting to show, which is really good news.
Each week I keep thinking everything is done and now it is just waiting for warmer times (on Tuesday they say) to uncover everything and do some planting. Each week I find yet another job to do, but I really do think this time it is now all ready to go – apart from some burning of further cuttings and weeds.
Suddenly the plot is looking a lot larger and less cluttered. The snow did eventually come, but nothing set and it didn’t get in the way.